Thursday, May 17, 2012

Great Barrier Reef

Today was my one full day in Cairns, oh there is so much to do here, I guess I will have to come back!  Since I had to choose something I decided to spend the day at the reef, we left Port Douglas this morning and journeyed to the Outer Great Barrier reef and specifically the Agincourt reef.  Here we had a chance to snorkel, scuba, or stay dry and go on a semi-sub or helicopter ride.  I chose to snorkel and tried scuba diving for the first time - I loved the scuba diving so much I went twice!  I saw all kinds of fish, Trumpet fish, Clown fish (also known as Nemo), Maori Wrasse, Lion fish, Red bass, Angel fish, Giant clams, and a bunch of fish I can't name as well as all kinds of coral...all of which you will have to imagine or look up online because my camera is not waterproof!  Here are a few photos of the day...

Leaving Port Douglas...

Arriving at the reef...

Snorkelling...

Arriving back safe and sound, but very tired and exhilarated...
Now back to Melbourne and on to Ballarat (much colder down south - hope I can handle the cold :-)

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you have had/having an amazing time. So pleased you tried the scuba - it's a different world isn't it. Enjoy the rest of your holiday, we start our journey back to the UK tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete